This Marietta home was originally built with a closet that could provide future accommodation for an elevator. The homeowners decided to forgo the elevator and instead expand the main level of the home to create a new Bedroom Suite on the main level for guests with mobility challenges today and eventually become the master suite that can support aging in place.
Project Overview/Challenges, Solutions and Special Features
- The existing library built-ins were the perfect access point to enter the new bedroom space. The library can morph into a sitting room space when (and if) it becomes the primary master suite.
- The existing brick has been out of production for about 15 years, the manufacturer merged with several other companies and while the plant is still producing brick with the same size the coloration of the current runs are not a good match.
- The basement level area is to be utilized as a workshop for the owner. Isolating the HVAC system from the main home is crucial for control of dust.
- The height of the new bedroom wing is limited by existing windows at the second floor of the home.
- Incorporating stone accents to bridge between the brick of the existing home and the addition to minimize direct tie-in of materials.
(Stephanie) I've been so impressed with your professionalism and transparency and value Custom Dwellings bring(s) with design, build, and project management which is rare in my experience.
Holly H. | Marietta, GA