Wood Valley Drive
The existing kitchen of this traditional “5/4 and a door” East Cobb Colonial home was too tight and lacked adequate storage for daily necessities. The kitchen was expanded to the rear a scant 8 feet – just enough to make it function for the family of six to all be in the space at the same time.
- The kitchen expansion required a significant 19'+ structural beam to be set into the rear wall of the home. The second floor above was supported and plumbing from the bath re-routed.
- Expanding a powder room into a full bath was a huge bonus for the main level to better support the family's changing needs.
- The family required a functional kitchen throughout the renovation- a temporary sink and cooking area was setup for the duration in the adjacent dining room which was being converted to a secondary bedroom.
- Reuse of the kitchen tabletop and re-purposing it as an island seating area was a way to incorporate a bit of old with the new. The table had been made by the Owner's father.
- The decorative tile accent at the range incorporates colors from the cabinetry while creating a focal point in the kitchen.
- Storage solutions for utensils, pots/pans and dishes in deep drawers are located throughout the kitchen. The pull-out double waste bin allows for both trash and recycling.
- Extending the cabinetry to the ceiling created much needed storage and eliminated dead space.
- Locating the microwave in the island keeps it out of sight but convenient for all family members to use.
- The pendant lighting at the island/casual dining, new LED recessed lighting and Undercounter LED task lighting all have smart functionality allowing the Owner to control lighting scenes on voice command.
- Creation of a walk-in pantry and a re-worked laundry/mudroom space are huge improvements for the family's daily routine.
- Pets mean durable flooring is a must have- hard working LVP is gentle on the knees and forgiving when items are dropped.
Working with our clients on this kitchen renovation was so much fun! We love it when our projects really make a difference for families and are thrilled that we were able to help them continue to enjoy their home for many more years to come.
Stephanie I. | designer