How to Choose a Builder/Remodeler
Ten Questions to ask your builder
Do you have ten or more years of home building experience?
Do you offer design services to modify plans or create new plans?
Are you a licensed residential contractor in the state of Georgia?
Can you provide written references including home owners, trade contractors, and material suppliers?
Do you maintain appropriate insurance coverage (builder’s risk, general liability, worker’s compensation)?
Do you build to performance standards as set forth by the Greater Atlanta Homebuilder’s association or equivalent?
Do you offer a limited warranty?
Is your main source of income from construction?
Do you offer mandatory binding arbitration?
Do you allow home inspections?
Do you provide satisfaction surveys?
What We Do Standard and Why We Do It
Custom Dwellings believes that “building green” is no longer just a movement, but a necessity as it is becoming more and more imperative that we take the responsibility to design and build structures that not only save on energy costs, but also help sustain our environment. Below is a list a small part of what we do standard, as well as some packages we offer to “green” you home. The possibilities are endless, please inquire for more information.
- Provide drainage and moisture control
- Install sheathing and house wrap properly
- Select wall, roof, and attic insulation levels that meet or exceed the 2000 International Energy Conservation Code
- Install windows and doors properly
- Select appropriate HVAC equipment
- Design homes and additions reasonably sized to save on construction cost and environmental impact by optimizing material use. We will design and build as large as you want, but do not believe in designing big, just for big’s sake.
- Save as many large shade trees as possible.
“Save Our Resources” Package
If you are concerned with the use of our natural resources, particularly trees and water, this is for you. With this package, we use advanced framing techniques to reduce the amount of lumber used and increase insulation coverage. In addition we can make use of gray water recycling and rain barrels for your plumbing and irrigation.
“Energy Efficient” Package
Why build an energy efficient home? The reasons are too numerous to list, but three main reasons are:
- Lower Energy Costs: By using state of the art technology to get the most out of the energy you use, you could save up to 50% on home energy costs.
- Increased Comfort: An energy efficient home can mean a warmer home in the winter and cooler home in the summer, because improved duct work design and installation will provide balanced airflow to all rooms.
- Improved Air Quality: By using less energy, there are fewer emissions created during the generation of power for your home, thus reducing your “carbon footprint”.